We love this plant for use as a hedge or in a shady position in a mixed border. Two of the most popular varieties are Sarcococca confusa and Sarcococca hookeriana var. Humilis. Sarcococcas can also be known as Sweet box or Christmas box.
Flowering period – December to March
Position – Partial Shade. Any aspect: South/North/East/West
Soil – fertile, moist, well-drained. Chalk, Clay, Sand
The main attraction of planting Sarcococca is the fragrant sweet scent in its winter flowering period. It is ideal to plant near a door or window to enjoy the uplifting sight and scent of the flowers in wintertime. Leaves are dark green and glossy, flowers are a creamy-white with delicate petals.
• A good evergreen structural shade-tolerant shrub, giving scent and colour in winter.
• Can be planted in deep shade.
• Can be used as a hedge or a bush.
• Grows well in shade, partial shade, or full sun in moist soil.
• Can grow to 1 to 2 metres high and 1 to 1.5 metres wide
• Black berries form after flowering